We invite researchers, designers, activists, technologists and artists that are exploring utopian, speculative, and critical design projects as well as designing for and with social movements, alternative societies and relational economies.
The specific themes and topics we are interested in covering in this workshop are:
- Agonistic public spaces versus consensual decision-making;
- The role of the author/designer/creator/artist in speculative and critical design in relation to participatory design;
- Exclusion and inclusion in the design practice;
- Norms in speculative participatory design practices; and
- Institutional conditions for the development of speculative and critical design within participatory design practice.
Participation and key dates
We expect to select 15-25 participants based on their submitted position papers. The position papers should be up to 2,000 words in the ACM ICPS format (http://pdc2016.org/formatting-guidelines/), and should include an image or illustration of a design work.
Send the submission to email@example.com.
- Position paper deadline 1: June 13, 2016 (For early notifications)
- Author notification 1: June 20, 2016 (Early notification)
- Position paper deadline 2: July 1, 2016
- Author notification 2: July 15, 2016
Participants will be invited to submit to a special issue in Design Issues.